Goodbye jcp..hello JCPenney (again)?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Goodbye jcp..hello JCPenney (again)?

Post by jamcool »

I have been noticing some current TV ads for JC Penney...gone is the lower case jcpenney logo...back is the circa 1971 JCPenney logo :? Could all of the problems with the chain mean the end of the "jcp" flag? (we hope) :roll:
storewanderer

Re: Goodbye jcp..hello JCPenney (again)?

Post by storewanderer »

I really do not think the logo is the issue. The old logo looks too old, though it is the common logo on most of their storefronts, so perhaps it does make sense to use it in the ads and on bags, receipts, etc.

Locally our Reno JCP is in disarray. They previously had their home store in a former Service Merchandise near the mall. They are now moving it "back" into the main store. The top half of the second floor where children's clothing was is now under construction for adding home goods back into the mall store. Also, down on the first floor a 1,000 or so square foot block in the middle is cut out as they are building a Sephora Shop inside. So they moved the kid's clothing downstairs and cut women's clothing first to make space for Sephora and now to make space for kid's clothing. The men's area upstairs remains as large as always. I expect them to do more reshuffling before it is over, and I hope they get this addressed within the next 40 or so days...
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have not seen them going back to the 1970s logo. I have, however, seen them using a new lowercase "jcpenney" logo in the font of the "jcp" logo.

Personally, I don't think the 70s logo looked outdated in the first place. It was simple and it worked well for a long time, and their signs seem to be maintained. I have never seen a white JCPenney sign that has turned yellow due to aging plastic.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The new store printed ads still use the lowercase JCPenney logo. The website is still using the JCP logo. Perhaps, JCPenney is just slow to update their website.

I see that the printed ads seem to be focusing on sales and bargain prices. It is a much better approach. However, I find the 30-70% off to be misleading. I am sure only a few items are 70% off, but seemingly false advertising can really turn people off for good.

I still haven't gone back to shop at JCPenney in a while. I don't watch TV anymore, so I totally have been missing out on these new JCPenney commercials. I usually watch TV shows on the internet and those usually have fewer commercials.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I watched the new JCPenney commercials and the old JCPenny logo is back. However, JCP is still used as a brand of clothing. The change to a new lowercase logo was unnecessary. Most people are used to the old logo and seeing the lowercase logo just made JCPenney seem like it was trying to be pretentious.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

I just checked their website and it looks like they're using the old "JCPenny" logo on there again.
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was looking through the envelope of ValPak Coupons that came to me last week.

I noticed buried toward the bottom of the pile were a couple of JCP coupons with that old JCPenney logo.

The entire coupon format, language, etc. all had an odd 1990's vibe. The colors, the font choices, it just all screamed not modern and did not compel me to visit the website or go to the stores.

I think short of a holiday season sales miracle, this is going to be a very sad cycle of events to watch.
Super S

Post by Super S »

JCPenney could survive...IF they can win back many of the customers they lost during what I will call the "jcp fiasco". I have to wonder though if the new pricing strategy would have worked if they didn't try to do so many changes in such a short amount of time. If Christmas sales are poor this year though, expect some store closings.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

KingU8ol0Soopers wrote:I just checked their website and it looks like they're using the old "JCPenny" logo on there again.
And now in the ad inserts as well, with the rest of the print in the ads being in the font of the lowercase logo.