Rexburg, Idaho, Kmart closing

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Rexburg, Idaho, Kmart closing

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Kmart store in Rexburg, Idaho, is closing in July, according to this article: http://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/n ... z2z3w9rytz

How this store has stayed open this long is beyond me. It's a tired old store just down the road from a Walmart in a fairly small town. Walmart recently announced that it will be closing its old store (dates back to the 1990s, I believe, in a strip mall with an Albertsons) to build a new Supercenter up the street.

If Sears Holdings had any money to spend on store renovations, it might have made sense to give this location a shot as a Sears. There isn't a chain department store or a Home Depot / Lowes in Rexburg and a Sears might work, especially given the building that has been happening up there and given that it is a college town. But it is probably just too small of a town for a Sears. And Rexburg already has a Sears dealer store.
Super S

Re: Rexburg, Idaho, Kmart closing

Post by Super S »

Funny how that article made no mention about a lease not being renewed. I think that we are seeing a gradual wind-down of the Kmart brand, and I feel that Sears might hold out a little longer, but until I actually read an article about stores being renovated, or new store openings, I have the opinion that Sears/Kmart is doomed. The quality has fallen off in the last few years, such as Craftsman tools moving production to China.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Rexburg, Idaho, Kmart closing

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

With almost half of the city being between the age of 18-25, this isn't too surprising considering the lack of younger shoppers Kmart has obtained.
Forum Moderator