Bar Opens in the Ralphs Fresh Fare Downtown Los Angeles

California. No non-grocery posts.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Bar Opens in the Ralphs Fresh Fare Downtown Los Angeles

Post by steps »

"Yes, the grocery store at 645 W. Ninth St. now features a bar, dubbed Elevate, which opened last month. Though brighter than many other area drinking spots, the Ralphs wine and beer bar (no hard liquor is served) offers a variety of grapes and suds."

More from: http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/bar- ... fd236.html

I think this is a first for any super market in California. I occasionally shop at this store but haven't been since the store was fully remodeled. It's in an "expensive, urban area", but being so close to skid row, there are A LOT of homeless around. I wonder if this will work out and expand into a new format for other grocery stores here.
storewanderer

Re: Bar Opens in the Ralphs Fresh Fare Downtown Los Angeles

Post by storewanderer »

There is a Frys in Scottsdale (in a former Smiths) that has an in-store bar in what looks like a similar configuration. Also the Frys Signature Marketplace at Tatum/Shea has an in store wine tasting area not quite in the same configuration.

The Whole Foods here in Reno has a small room off to the front of the store, when the store opened it was a room for cooking classes but more recently they converted the space into a taphouse.
klkla

Post by klkla »

steps wrote:I think this is a first for any super market in California.
Actually the Gelson's in Long Beach has had one since it opened in November 2013. They also have a rooftop patio where you can watch the boats in the harbor and they were planning to add a bar up there, too.

http://ktla.com/2013/11/08/new-gelsons- ... ar-inside/
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The recent remodel/expansion of the Downtown Bellevue QFC (which seems to be the flagship store for the chain) added a wine and beer bar (called Cork & Tap) to the store as well. They have a number of beers on tap (both to drink in store and foll growlers) as well as wines and Kombucha.
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

some supermarkets especially on the east coast have a service called "Growler Fill" - where shoppers bring in their reusuable beer containers to get refilled from a large in-store keg. Kroger calls them 'Krowlers".

One of Kroger's brand new beer/wine bars that just opened a few days ago

http://www.athensnews.com/ohio/article- ... ermit.html
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

The bar and tasting area at Ralphs Fresh Fare in Westwood Village across the street from UCLA opened a couple of weeks ago. First few times, I saw nobody in it. Yesterday, it was overflowing with customers (drinks are mostly $6-$10). More than twice the size of the Downtown L.A. Ralphs bar...